So university is a huge step for most people, and in all honestly I am still shocked I even got a place at my university. Having now completed my first week at medical university studying Physiotherapy, I thought I’d share what I learnt this first week.
- You don’t want to be that person who makes a tit of themselves at freshers. Every year has that one person who always gets completely obliterated and has to be carried back to halls by other students and safely tucked away after throwing up. I honestly thought there was nothing wrong with doing this to an extent, we’re freshers, getting drunk is the key thing, however I learnt from a second year, this isn’t the case.
- The teachers are expecting you to get obliterated during freshers. I can’t say this for every university, but at mine our lecturers encourage us to go drink (probably in the hopes we get sick of it and stop it for the rest of the term). We’re based in a hospital with the Student Union bar based in the hospital as well (its locked off in the university part don’t worry) however we are often reminded that we may be walking past future employers when drunk and trying to get home, so to try and be subtle. My uni also has plenty of mesures in place to keep us safe, namely The Drunk Club which is room of benches and bins, people in pink shirts who are there to keep up safe and pick us up off the floor, and also to ring the student watch over at halls who are tasked to get those who are totally smashed, safely into bed.
- Everybody is as nervous as you. When I went to my first freshers meet and greet at halls, I knew no one. But with in a few minutes I had met two other physio students who then introduced me to another physio student. My friend Ellie also managed to help up make friends with other students by literally walking up to them and asking if we can join (ballsy I know, I wouldn’t have done it!!). It worked and we made some friends we hung out with that night and still see around uni and chat to.
- You wont remember everybody’s names. I’m a week in and still asking people their names. You will learn them all but it takes time, their not going to be offended if you ask them what their name is again. Chances are they’ve probably forgotten yours as well!!
- Go to the freshers events. Not all of them, but most. I haven’t been to all the freshers events due to either not being interested in one or two of them or because I was so tired I had to have a nap. However it is worth going to a few because they are good social settings to meet people and I have met a lot of people through fresher events.
- You wont get pressured into drinking. There is this big thing that its uncool to not drink when out with mates. Nobody cares. If you don’t want a shot its not the end of the world. I went on half a pub crawl and had one bottle of WKD, no one honestly cared. I didn’t have to explain about my medical or anything they just said, are you sure? And that was that.
Considering its only been a week, I haven’t learnt a lot, but I thought I’d list a few that most people tend to worry about a lot. Hope you enjoyed it and please leave me comments on other blog post ideas you’d like me to do!
Since I am planning on filming a YouTube video on this as well, I thought I’d do a blog post on it at the same time!
- I live in London/Surrey in England
- I’m 20 years old & my birthdays in May
- I don’t have any siblings
- My boyfriend & I have been going out for nearly two years
- I’m studying BSc Hons in Physiotherapy at one of the top medical schools in England & hope to either specialise in either respiratory or rehabilitation after transplants and illnesses
- I really want to get guinea pigs and also rescue another dog
- I have a brown belt in karate & have been doing it since I was six
- I’m learning how to speak Italian
- I have a few medical conditions such as a heart defect called Mitral Valve Regurgitation (leaky valve), Asthma, IBS & an autoimmune kidney disease called idiopathic membranous nephropathy
- Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons, I love nothing more than watching a film when it rains all cosy inside
- As well as karate I cycle competitively and horse ride
- I have seven piercings (two lobes, double helix, rook, belly & conch) but no tattoos, although I am planning on getting one soon
- I grew up as a carer for my mum who had a stroke after I was born as well as having ushers syndrome amongst others
- I met my boyfriend through work although we didn’t start going out until a year later
- I love reading. I can sit and read a book for hours on end
- I drink tea way too much
- I’m very thick skinned and it takes a lot to upset me
- I studied photography for A-level and HND (higher national diploma)
- I love make up and fashion and I’m forever talking myself out of buying things
- Although I can be impulsive I like to plan certain things in advance and can get rather agitated when things don’t go as planned
So these are 20 facts about me! The YouTube video of it will be up soon!
I thought since there was so much that I’m currently excited about that I’d put it in a blog post. There is one huuuge thing I’m super super excited about, but I don’t want to write about it right now because I personally think its a huge thing I want to tell as few people about as possible until it actually happens.
- Starting University: I start university on the 25th September and let me tell you, words cannot describe how excited I am to start. I’ve always wanted to do something in the NHS (ignoring my 4 years of photography) but I couldn’t figure out what, until talking to my mum and she suggested Physiotherapy and it all clicked. I applied for university with no physio experience, no science A-level (but I did have an A*A*A in art, design & photography….) and the caring experience really to show was growing up as a young carer for my mum. I applied to four universities, three declined and one gave me an interview before offering me a place. The bonus? It was my dream university that I was dying to attend!
- Going to Copenhagen: My boyfriend and myself booked a city break in Copenhagen right before Christmas to go to their Christmas markets and sight see. I’m super excited because it looks like such a gorgeous country. I’m going to Vlog whilst out there and take plenty of photos for blog posts.
- Getting a New Car: This one is also happening fairly soon. My current cars slightly unreliable in terms of breaking down. I can’t complain, its a 2002 Renault Clio and has endured three years of my driving, driving either a short ten minute distance or a two/three hour distance (not much of an in-between) and has also made it out of one car accident fairly unscathed (the other car not so much….). Its broken down twice for actual reasons, but recently its developed a liking of turning on the engine management light, revving itself and not allowing me to accelerate… all with no apparent reason (we even connected a diagnostics kit and didnt get any codes). The fact I needed a new car really set in yesterday when I was sitting in traffic, went to pull off and my car just turned itself off… engine management light on…. but no power. It wouldn’t turn over too & when it did, it revved so loud I instantly turned it off…. so yeah, I’m car shopping! There’ll also be a video & blog post on my new car!
- Learning Italian: Considering myself and my boyfriend spend a lot of time in Italy…. neither of use speak very much Italian, and what we do speak is fairly bad. So we’ve found ourselves an Italian teacher to come and teach us some so we don’t have to rely on his Aunt & her son to translate for us. The exciting thing is we aren’t going to tell them, we’re gonna turn up and start chatting in Italian as a surprise.
- Snowboarding: This isn’t until February/March time depending on my holiday times around uni, but I’m going back to Italy for snowboarding again this year with friends. I spend a fair amount of time in Italy because my boyfriend has family friends out there who have three houses and lend us one to snowboard. So we pay £50 rent for the electrics/water we use, and bus it up the mountain everyday to snowboard, before coming back in the evening!
This is about all going on at the moment that I’m excited about so keep an eye out on vlogs & blog posts about some of these things!!
So I found this tag online which I think is an interesting one, I’m planning on doing a get to know me video for my YouTube channel soon and came across this and thought it would make a good one for my blog. So here we go:
1. Did you wake up cranky? Not today no
2. Would you date an 18-year-old at you’r current age? Nope, not into younger guys
3. Do you prefer to be friends with girls or boys? either, not really fussed
4. Would you ever smile at a stranger? yep, always do if they smile at me or look at me
5. Can you commit to one person? 100% yes, already committed & going strong
6. How do you look right now? rough. as. hell.
7. What exactly are you wearing right now? leggins & a baggy top with a messy pony
8. How often do you listen to music? EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I would die with out music.
9. Do you wear jeans or sweats more? ohhhhh…. I think its a tie…. probably jeans????
10. Do you think your life will change dramatically before 2020? Yes. Got so many good things to look forward to and so much that can change really quickly11. Are you an introvert or an extrovert. extrovert.
12. Are you good at hiding your feelings? yep I really can
13. Can you drive a stick shift? Guessing this is a manual car & yes, thats what I learnt to drive in.
14. Do you care if people talk badly about you? Nope. It amuses me because their wasting so much of their time bitching & its not affecting me in the slightest.
15. Are you going out of town soon? I’m going to Copenhagen in December
16. When was the last time you cried? a few weeks ago
17. Have you ever liked someone you didn’t expect to? yes. When I first met my boyfriend, although I thought he was cute, never expected him to ever like me.
18. If you could change your eye color, would you and what color would they be? I love my eye colour…. I’d maybe make them a more striking blue but otherwise no
19. Name something you have to do tomorrow? I have to go training if I want to do nationals in November….
Hope this was interesting & dont forget to check out my YouTube channel!!
Yesterday my boyfriend and I went to Tonbridge to meet him mum. It was my first time meeting her because she lives out in Australia so I haven’t had a chance to meet her. We had lunch at a resturant called Graze which was next to the river and had a nice lunch, before going for a wander along the river and ending up on a footpath which we followed and just chatted. After the walk we decided on sitting by the river with a coffee where we heard music coming from the castle, only to find there was an orchestra there playing, so we moved up and listened to them playing. It was honestly such an amazing day and we had really nice weather for it too. Wilfs (my boyfriend) mum had so many amazing stories to tell from Australia which I really enjoyed listening to and really made me want to go to Australia and see it all myself.
Here are some photos from Tonbridge:
I’ve finally manned up and done something I’ve been wanting to do for ages. I’ve started a Vlog YouTube channel. I’ve tried countless times to make a channel with weekly videos, however I just don’t have the time to sit down and plan, film and edit and video that’s going to be as good as I want it to be, so this way I can do that.
I’ll be uploading weekly vlogs (my life isn’t interesting enough for daily vlogs, especially since I’m going to uni in September). So I’ll be filming through out the week and putting it into one weekly video that will be uploaded every Sunday. The perks to this is that if I then get a video idea, some extra time or a product to review or something to haul, I can then do a sit down video. I’ve been wanting to do YouTube for nearly five years now and just haven’t built up the courage to do it, and by the time I did, I didn’t have enough time to dedicate to it. So heres to another chance. Please subscribe to my channel, I should have my first video up this week!
I love make up and clothes. Fact. Do I have enough space for them? No. An email I got earlier this week got me thinking about how I would design my own dream dressing room if I didn’t have a budget. I was sent a link to a US furniture brand with some amazingly designed furniture which I would totally purchase if I had the money. So here is how my dream dressing room would look.
For the wallpaper I would have shimmery turquoise paper with gold flecks in it on the main feature wall with the other walls being a light grey/white shade. I’d match this to a golden/brass coloured chandelier for lighting as well as some white tea light holders for that extra cosy feel.
For my dressing table I would have the desk shown below, putting some cute storage boxes in the hutches and putting a marble sticker sheet over the dark wood to keep the lighter theme running, or maybe even just paint it the same shade as white as the dresser that I would use for storage. On top of the dresser I would have a tealight holder and the Hurricane vase with some light pink Lillies in, as well as having a tealight and the glass cylinder on the desk to hold my make up brushes. I really loved the design of the chair, especially with the darker edges and legs.
I’d also have a coffee table and sofa to chill on as well as for my friends to sit on when we’re getting ready for a night out. I’d put the embroidered pillows on the sofa to keep it comfy as well as another Hurricane vase on the table for some more flowers. I’d have the mirror in the corner by the dresser so I can see what my outfits are like, and of course I’d have a mirror with lights around the edge on my desk/make up table.
All products featured above are from Arhaus
If you are looking for some beautiful Lights & pendant lights then check out these links!